I was pleasantly surprised at how good the Homecoming parade was on Friday. The whole week embraced a Hawaiian theme since UAB played the Tulane "Green Wave." UAB even pulled out a win in the game. Here's Daph and Melanie right before the parade began.



Coach Calloway and the football team.

President Garrison in mid candy throw. She spearheaded a "Be Seen in Green" faculty and staff campaign during football season (and especially during homecoming) to encourage faculty and staff to support the school and build a sense of community. I think it's helping give UAB less of a commuter campus feel and more of a school identity.


Here's Dr. Kahn, my vice president, in the back.

The floats were really creative and cute.

These guys were just being stupid and crazy. Still, the "Your mom goes to Tulane" sign made me laugh.


A lot of the schools (medicine, dentistry, nursing, etc.) sponsored floats, as well as some student organizations.




This one reminded me of my dad. He would have liked it. Is it bad that whenever I see anything toilet-related I think of him? I guess that's your curse when your dad's in plumbing sales!


Ben and Leigh - this one's for you. Here's your former dean and dean (School of Health Professions) riding the Green Way! Most of the dean's really got into it and played the part!

This is the School of Public Health dean's actual lime green Gremlin!


I always have to take pics of cute kids! Apparently they make children's mascot costumes for every school. Or maybe this is a Halloween costume.

The School of Engineering took the cake with their metallic version of Blaze the dragon. I heard it was originally supposed to be fire-breathing (literally), but that got nixed at the last minute.


This poor guy had a little car trouble but eventually got things under control.

I work in the Admin building on 20th street, where President Garrison also works. She sponsored a spirit contest for all the departments in our building. Here's some of theUAB Events ladies who work in my department along with the development, stewardship/donor relations (my group), gift records, planned giving, prospect research, and alumni affairs folks. They're so fun. They served as back up singers for Joan (white grass skirt), our business officer, who made up her own UAB homecoming song, performed it in the lobby, and won our department a doughnut breakfast!

Needless to say, it was a really fun week. But I'm actually looking forward to a return to normalcy! Craziness can wear you out!
No comments:
Post a Comment