Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Happy Anniversary!



Robert and I celebrated our first Anniversary the weekend of December 7th - 9th with a wonderful trip to Asheville, North Carolina (my friend Mary Jane worked on this Web site!) I flew to Atlanta from San Antonio after a terrible airport fiasco that involved 12 total travel hours - most of them waiting in the airport, five gate changes, one decommissioned plane, and an awful scare that they lost my luggage. By 9: 30 p.m. I was still in Dallas and on the verge of tears that I was going to miss the first day of our anniversary weekend, but luckily I made it to Atlanta, though it was after midnight when we finally landed.

We stayed Thursday night in Atlanta and then drove to Asheville Friday morning, where we stayed at this neat Bed and Breakfast called the Inn on Main Street in Weaverville, N. C. for the next two nights. That night we went to the Biltmore Estate, America's largest mansion built by George Vanderbilt in 1895. We did the special Candlelight Christmas tour at night. Nearly every room featured a gorgeous Christmas tree, and there was a choir inside singing carols and other musicians playing Christmas music in different rooms. It took us nearly two hours to tour the entire house, which included a bowling ally and indoor swimming pool in the basement - still extravagant luxuries even today.



The next day we returned to tour the gardens and winery before window shopping through downtown Asheville. It's a very different town. For some reason "organic" seems like the best word to describe it. Robert was right when he commented that we weren't "weird enough" (a.k.a. too normal and traditional) to live there. But it was so fun to shop around and experience the city. Robert was great and let me drag him to antique shops and such.

Saturday night we had pizza at this great little pizza place in Weaverville - a suburb of Asheville, before heading home on Sunday. I can't believe we've been married a year. The time has just flown by!

No comments: