...and her mama Trixie.
These cuties are our adopted puppies for the week. They're technically not puppies - more like full-grown Yorkies who just happen to be little midget dogs. Seriously, as you can tell, they're just the cutest things ever (and fully grown). We've enjoyed dog sitting them since last Thursday while their true owners, my cousin Kristi and her family, are vacationing at the beach.
These little ladies are full of energy. So much so I feel guilty leaving them at home confined to our kitchen with the help of baby gates (had to borrow those too) while we're at work all day. (I told Robert today I was worried they were losing brain cells from lack of stimulation. He said I was crazy and that they were dogs.) But they have each other to horse around with and are super excited - and yappy - when we get home.
As you can tell, they like to hang around in case we drop food, but it's been only dog food for these gals all week.
And they like to cuddle and give you kisses.
They also love to fight with you in a tug of war over their toy horse and duck. They actually know those words. If Robert yells "Duck" they go crazy trying to find that toy and get all worked up and excited.
How crazy, you make ask? Check out this video:
Seriously, these dogs have been tons of fun to keep. We've found ourselves making up all sorts of nicknames for them: belles, trixalicious, trixter...you get the idea. I've also felt like a true Homewoodian with dogs to walk down the street, though I think we went a little too far for those little legs Monday night because Trixie was panting good and steady for about 15 minutes after we got back.
This experience has been quite helpful as we consider future pet ownership. My cousin actually pitched this as a chance to do a test run as a dog owner. And it's certainly been more true to life than just keep them for a day. We've experienced both the joyous (cuddling with cute puppies) and the not so joyous (waking up to yapping at 6 a.m.) aspects of dog ownership.
So is dog ownership in our future? Probably, but not until one of us is at home to actually spend time with the little guy. I think I would just feel too guilty leaving him by himself all day five days a week. My gut tells me we probably won't get a dog until our kids beg for one, and that's years away.
Speaking of kids. This whole experience has gotten me thinking we need a trial run for kids too. Anyone want to offer their children for our experiment?
No comments:
Post a Comment