Sunday, February 21, 2010

V-day 2010


Our Valentine's Day was a little different than in previous years. It all started with these delicious "I Love You" cookies I picked up from Icing on the Cookie on Friday, the same day my sweet husband had flowers delivered to my office - while he was in Houston for work! He not only arranged this while he was traveling and completely out of pocket, but he also had them delivered early (Friday) so I'd get them at the office and have the thrill of flowers delivered to me since Valentine' s fell on a Sunday this year. He knows how much I love to receive flowers, and they honestly couldn't have come on a better day since that Friday was our snow day and we had a major donor event canceled at the 11th hour. It was a crazy day at the office - that my beautiful flowers made so much better. So, I got him cookies, and a miniature Wally.

Robert loves this movie....and robots. This gift was actually a pretty big hit - once I remembered to give it too him. He found it weeks before Valentine's so I had to re-hide the present and then completely forgot about it. He had to remind me to give it to him! How sad is that?

We babysat for a preciously family at church on Valentine's. See the cute pic (courtesy of Amy Henry's photography website) above of Lilian and her brother Griffin. They also have a precious baby sister Palmer. We love keeping these fun and energetic kiddos. They keep us on our toes! Griffin is a whiz, and I love Lilian because she hangs right in there with her brother. I can't wait for the next time we get to hang out with these kids. So fun!

Because we babysat on Valentine's, we celebrated ourselves the following Wednesday. Normally, we enjoy picking a unique-to-Birmingham restaurant and going out for a nice meal, the kind you only make the time (and have the budget) to do a few times every year. This year I wanted to do something different. It involved using my fine china for the first time...(ahhmm...)...ever! Yes, we have been married three+ years and I had yet to use our china. Trust me, I know how sad that is. I actually had fun setting the formal table (we NEVER eat at the table) for our special dinner - after I pulled the stickers off the bottom of the plates and other pieces!

The flowers Robert sent me were our centerpiece. I cooked one of his favorite meals - mostly made of some of his mom's best dishes that he especially loves: friend shrimp, brown rice, mac and cheese (yes, I know that's two starches, but he loves them!), bread sticks (because I have yet to gather the courage to attempt his mom's yeast rolls), and steamed broccoli.

For dessert? The cookies. (I had already eaten the "I" at this point, but don't they look great on my china?)

We actually only ate about a bite each because yours truly left them out in their box instead of storing them properly in an airtight container, and by Wednesday even these delicious cookies were dry. Oh well. You win some, you lose some.

No comments: