Monday, October 29, 2007

Highlights of Last Week

So, let's just say last week had some fun and crazy happenings. Since I don't have any pics to illustrate, I thought I'd do a list. Here goes.

1. Kyle turns 22

Yep, my little bro is already up into the boring birthdays! But despite the lackluster of "22," we actually had a blast going out to Outback to celebrate with the family on Oct. 25. Between scarfing down a delicious meal of steak and bloomin onion, we all listed to Kyle and David recount what is probably one of their funniest stories ever of trying to help this group of drunk people get their trucks unstuck from the land around our house. I just realized how redneck that sentence sounds. Oh well, drunk people always make for funny stories, and this oen was hilarious!

2. Julia's big date

So, there's this very Colorado-ish boy (think Subaru, extreme sports, manly man) who is totally into Julia and gives her one of the best first dates ever. A set-up (co-worker of a co-worker's husband. Try to figure that one out!) that actually has a lot of promise, this guy put up quite the show for Jules. Call her for all the details, but after a nice dinner and fun conversation, Mr. K (I won't give out his real name) decides he wants to teach Julia his favorite pastime - hockey! Yep, this guy is a hockey player... who coaches a women's team. (I didn't think women played hockey, but we are in Colorado now, aren't we? I guess anything is fair game.) Anyway, Julia survives their skating escapade with minimal falls but enough to be charing, learns to shoot the puck in the net until Mr. K's positive he wants her own his team, and end up with a ride on the Zamboni (that big machine that smooths the ice. I had no idea it had a name until she and Robert told me.) before night's end - all while basically getting this guy to fall head over heels for her. Yep, he even scored a second date. It's yet to be determined if he's good enough for Jules...but definitely sounds promising.

3. Jake is alive


I think most of you know Jake is teaching history and coaching football at a big high school in Savannah that's about as inner city, ghetto, and illiterate as they come. If you want all the details, get on his email update list. It's great. Needless to stay, Jake is totally the man for the job. The way he loves these very unlovable kids is amazing. I know he's gone through some loneliness and frustrations, but I can totally see how the Lord has prepared Jake to advance His Kingdom at Johnson High School. But this past Homecoming week was pretty scary. After a drive by shooting that killed a former student and wounded another guy, the Thursday night bond fire and pep rally turned into a slew of fights that resulted in a 5-hour lock down on Friday morning at school. Jake was stuck in his portable (trailer) with the same twenty 9th graders for five hours! I don't know how he did it. But somehow they survived (despite a student riping his grade book in two after Jake caught him cheating at Mafia), there were no more shootings, and Jake ended up going on to coach one of the best games of his high school, offensive play calling career. They lost in double OT, but in the past two games where the head coach has let Jake call the offensive plays, the team has scored more than they have all year prior to that combined! We're still holding out for a win this season - hopefully next weekend when Rob and I make the trip to see Jake. We're also holding out for Jake to survive the year.

4. Dan in Real Life

If you haven't seen this movie yet, Robert and I high recommend it. We saw it with Austin and Megan on Saturday evening. Very funny. Steve Carrell's best movie to date is not completely a comedy and definitely not The Office, but still had us laughing and feeling good at the end. (A movie trait I tend to value more than Robert.) Check it out if you're interested.

4. The honeymoon is over

The last of our wedding gift cards are now officially gone, so that can only mean one thing - the honeymoon is over! :) Yep, we're definitely settling into the ole marriage life now. I fully expect there will be no more receiving of wedding presents ever.

No comments: