Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Third Trimester Confusion

So, apparently there's differences of opinion on when "technically" the third trimester begins. Here's what I discovered after doing a little online research (not always recommended but in this case surprisingly helpful).

You are only technically pregnant 266 days if you go full term. The 280 days is full term plus 2 weeks prior to ovulation--when you weren't even pregnant. If you go by the 40 weeks (280 days) the math would be 13.3 weeks and you would be in your third trimester at about 27 weeks. If you go by 266 days, you would be starting your third trimester in the 25th week. So, docs go between 25-28 weeks for that reason.

We'll, since I'm now 25 weeks, one of my weekly baby/pregancy email updates sent me the following message:

Welcome to the third trimester! You're really in the homestretch now. While reaching the third trimester feels like great progress, with it comes a return to fatigue, dizziness, and constant trips to the bathroom. To relieve back, hip and leg pain now, try to keep walking, swimming, practicing yoga or doing any other nonweight-bearing activity. This also can help you recover faster physically after childbirth. To make sure you'll enjoy your baby shower, schedule it between weeks 30 and 36; you'll still be spry enough to enjoy it.

Well okay then, I guess we'll just embrace the third trimester now since fatique, back pain, and restless sleep are starting to again become my constant friends. All a small price to pay in the long run for a little buddle of joy. Overall, I really am feeling great (can't complain) and have had a very nice and uneventful (someone please knock on wood - immediately) pregancy to date.

Here's hoping for smooth sailing in the home stretch. I can't believe we're already to that phase. Enjoy each stage of life because they certainly do fly by.

No comments: