Thursday, March 24, 2011

25 weeks

25 weeks today. Baby is definitely bigger. How big is debatable.

Three different email updates stated the following, so next time you’re in the grocery store and spot an eggplant, small bag of sugar, or rutabaga, think of Baby Trey. Or don’t – because I don’t think he looks anything like any of those, though his size may be roughly comparable this week.

Your baby weighs 1 1/4 pounds and is a little more than 11 inches long, about the size of a small bag of sugar.

He rivals a rutabaga - about 1 1/2 pounds. (Length: 13 1/2 inches, head to heel.) Head to heels, your baby now measures about 13 1/2 inches. His weight — a pound and a half — isn't much more than an average rutabaga

Baby's now the size of an eggplant!

And apparently there’s only more growth to come. In the last third of pregnancy, he'll double and triple his weight. Here we go.

New developments this week – MAJOR movement!

I knew Little Buddy was getting active, but didn’t realize until the past three or four days just how strong and more frequent his kicks have gotten. The other night he was going crazy. I had a hunch Robert might be able to feel his punches and kicks if he put his hand to my stomach, and sure enough dad was able to feel Trey in there practicing his dance moves or soccer kicks or whatever it is he keeps doing with those leg and arm muscles. It was a special moment. And confirmed I wasn't going crazy whenever I wince or react to a random punch or kick.

Other baby developments:

That oh-so-handy sense of equilibrium is kicking in, and baby's learning to distinguish right side up from upside down. (Hence the flipping I think is going on in there.)

Baby can touch and hold his feet and make a fist (and then punch mom with it in utero)

Dad may be able to hear his heartbeat by pressing his ear against your belly (I thought this might be the case. Some days I think I can feel the beat of his little heart rhythm in there, but didn’t know if I was making it up or not.)

Baby has a regular sleep schedule now and active and inactive periods. (Yep, we just need to get our patterns on the same schedule. This late night activity is keeping me from falling asleep. An experienced mom and work told me to literally rock him back and forth, either by swaying in bed or standing up, or walking around the room, to put him back to sleep. Might have to try this technique if things keep up.) You may or may not be able to discern what those periods are. (Nope, I got them. Cycles fully discerned.)

His nostrils, which have been plugged, open up. (Yea for a working sniffer.)

Baby is beginning to exchange his long, lean look for some baby fat. (Finally!) As he does, his wrinkled skin will begin to smooth out and he'll start to look more and more like a newborn.

He's also growing more hair — and if you could see it, you'd now be able to discern its color and texture. (Can’t wait to see. Baldness is acceptable too. I’m not going to be a picky mom. We’re going for healthy here, people.)

No comments: