It's a good thing you can't see my feet because they've become quite the swollen mess these days. Good thing Robert loves me unconditionally because one look at my "Shrek feet" (as my friend Christina fondly dubbed her swollen preggers feet) is a crazy scary sight. Maybe it's the 99+ degree weather, or the fact that I now weigh a whopping 150 pounds (32 over pre-pregnancy weight), or maybe it's just that this is par for the course at 8 months pregnant. But there's one thing for sure, I'll definitely be glad to have my normal feet and body back in two to four weeks.
That's our new catch phrase now - "two to four weeks" - because we're on the official countdown. Basically, Trey could be here in as early as two weeks (if he comes on his own, aka I go into labor, anytime after 37 weeks) and no later than four weeks from now if we end up with an induction at 39 weeks.
I can definitely tell a big difference in my ability to handle pregnancy that came on somewhere in week 34/35. It's much harder to get though a work day these days. There seems to be a whole new level of fatigue that pretty much lasts 24 hours, and carrying him is honestly just harder - because let's face it, little buddy is heavy! The swelling of the feet doesn't help either - but it is a nice excuse to prop up your feet on the couch after a long day at the office. Again, this is probably all normal for this stage, but it did catch me by surprise how "useless" (My words, not Robert's) I became almost overnight. Good thing most of our baby prep is done because I don't think I'd have the energy to tackle it now.
Honestly, I'm just ready for him to be here. To meet our sweet little man, for sure, but also to finally not be pregnant any more. Which is a pretty amazing thing considering the concept of giving birth has been mostly freaking me out during the majority of the pregnancy. I think the swollen feet, fatigue, and other symptoms you have in the last weeks of pregnancy definitely get you ready to say, "Sure, I'll push that 7 plus pound baby out of my vagina. That's a completely rational idea, doc." Talk about an attitude transformation.
But funnies aside, we are mostly just so thankful that we continue to have good weekly reports from the doctor. I had my 35 week appointment yesterday and Trey continues to look great (kicking up a storm, good heart rate and breathing, etc.). I'm really not worried about him because of all the activity he always has. I feel him move so often. My amniotic fluid levels were good and so was my blood pressure. As I mentioned, a little swelling (really just in the feet - and more so the right foot than the left - which Robert's dad says is actually normal because of the way the uterus puts more pressure on your right artery; also, Trey is situated on my right side, still head down thankfully) started settling in last week and is pretty much here to stay, but it does go down, thankfully.
I have been staying active as much as possible. My sweet friend Katie Crawford (20 weeks pregnant with a baby girl!) is keeping me on the walking trail! We did 5 miles last Saturday which almost wiped me out but I'm determined to keep it up when I can. Haven't been as faithful this week since I've been fighting a cold and wasn't taking any meds until the doc yesterday said to go for it. It's so nice to now be able to breath!
We are actually feeling really good about being ready (as ready as you can be) for Trey. His nursery is complete aside from the rocker/ottoman, which we should be able to pick up this weekend. I need to do a couple more loads of laundry for him (new clothes from the baby showers), and Robert put his swing and bouncy seat together this week. We got the car seat and plan to give the cars a good clean this weekend so we can run by the Homewood fire station and have them install the car seat bases for us.
My other goal this weekend is to go ahead and pack our bags. It's probably time we had them ready to go by the door...just in case.
No comments:
Post a Comment