Saturday, April 2, 2011

Nursery Part 2 - Fabrics and Crib

So, here's our crib for Trey (stock photo for now). I'm a big fan. It's a convertable, 3 -n-1 something or other, transforming into a toddler bed and then a full bed...I think. I honestly can't remember. The crib shopping was a bit mind-dizzying. There are a gazillion options, and pretty much the consumer ratings are none existent since it's basically a furniture purchase and all about aesthetics, preference, and style. That makes it difficult for a girl who likes to go with the highest rated product and check it off the list. But I do love this style. I knew I wanted white to go with the shabby chic/french county/antique mix-matched look I was going for in his nursery. I'm not sure we'll ever use the bed as anything other than a crib considering other kids down the road that will need to occupy it probably before Trey hits the toddler bed stage, but it's nice to have the option. And I do love the solid wood back on the crib.
I am so blessed to have a very talented and very giving/serving/loving mother-in-law who is custom making all of Trey's crib bedding in addition to his drapes, a pillow or two, an extra blanket and possibly a few other items like liners for baskets. The fabrics I hand-picked with lots of advice and help from both Robert's mom and mine. I think it will look great and can't wait to see it all together. It's kind of a preppy little boy meets classic navy/sailor (minus any sailor motif) look. You'll probably just have to wait and see - as I will - it all together to get the full effect, but nonetheless, for your blog viewing pleasure, here's the fabric swatches we're using. I personally adore them!
Light blue/navy argyle (where the "baby boy preppy" comes in)

This is for the corice boards above the two windows, inside crib bumper panels, and bottom edge lining of the crib skirt. Also will cover the chandelier lamp shades and one side of a blanket (if I'm remembering correctly). Sweet mother-in-law has it all down.



Navy Kimono print (where the classic sailor-ish looks comes from)


This is the front of the bumper pads and a few other places to accent. Used minimally because it's such a fun, bold pattern.


Navy Linen (more classic look)


Using this primarily for the window panels and crib skirt. Also for the inside third of the back crib bumper, which will have his monogram or name in white (surrounded on either side by the argyle panels). Also, the crib skirt in this will have a bottom edge lining in the argyle as a little accent punch and to tie in the top and bottom of the bedding in a nice argyle package.


Grey Minky Dot (aka, the baby fabric)

This is our crib sheet. Super soft. Should tie in nicely with the grey walls and grey rocker/glider.


Here's the rocker/glider we ordered - Little Castle Capri Glider in "Bliss Putty" fabric. Originally intended to go with the grey twill fabric in the pic below of the glider, but after going to Storkland for the third time (ok, my third time; Robert's first) we opted for the heavier, higher quality damask patterned fabric in bliss putty, which looked nicer and sturdier and better at hiding spit-up stains, which will inevitably come despite the fancy "ultrashield" (sounds rather superhero-esqu, doesn't it?) fabric protectant we ordered on both the rocker/glider and ottoman. Also, the nicer fabric will work later in a den, living room, etc., since this baby comes with a 10-year warrenty, and we're hoping it lasts a while through many different family stages. It's about the most comfortable thing you've ever sat in, and considering we're going to be doing a lot of sitting, we knew this was the one nursery purchase we didn't want to skimp on. Scheduled to deliver in 6 to 8 weeks, so we're looking at the end of May.


Fabric for the glider/rocker - "Bliss putty"

All this came about after months of searching what seemed like a ton of nursery decorating options and checking out so may fun websites with custom bedding, fabrics, etc. I would recommend http://www.polkatotdesigns.com/ based out of Mobile, Alabama. Lots and lots of great crib bedding sets that help you see what fabric selections looks good together. You can browse to just get ideas, or order a set they've already put together, or even work with them to make your own. View crib bedding sets for boys, girls, or even gender neutral patterns. Even though Robert's mom is making Trey's bedding, this site helped me a ton! Also the Carousel Designs website (http://www.babybedding.com/) which lets you custom design your own crib bedding using this really cool online tool to select fabric for the bumpers, skirt, etc. Once you've selected one, it even recommends other fabrics that match for different parts of the bedding. They have a decent mix of cute fabrics for boys and girls, but the best part is the online tool. If you're a "need to see it in person" kinda girl (which I recommend to ensure you like what you're getting and to check the print size, etc., - BUT order online because 9 times out of 10 it's cheaper that way) then go to the Becker's booths at Homewood Antiques Market or Greystone Antique Market. She's got lots of great matching nursery fabrics paired together, but much much more for little girls than little boys. (Unfortunately, this is true everywhere.) I also checked out local fabric shops King Cotton Decorator Fabrics on Greenspring Highway, Calico Corners in Hoover, and even JoAnne's, where we scored the classic navy linen fabric at half off. Use coupons if you have them and shop for the best prices online after checking out what you want in the store. And, make a nice fabric swatch inspiration board. This helped me immensely. I went ahead and paid the $1 swatch plus shipping to order dozens of fabric swatches from http://www.warmbiscuit.com/ and other cute online retailers that have prints you just can't find in stores. It's well worth it to make sure you love your selections before purchasing by the yard. Also, it saved me from going with my original choice of bedding (which I thought was a pretty cornflower blue and yellow stripped pattern) that ended up being all gray and yellow with no blue. I just couldn't do that to my little boy. Actually, that gray probably inspired the gray motif that we're going with now, some you never know where you get inspiration. When I was feeling nasty and pregnant during my first trimester, what I was most excited about was getting to decorate a new room in the house and put together a custom nursery. It's been so much fun. Lots of work too, but so exciting to prepare for the arrival of a new member of the family. Can't wait to see it all come together! Still have a few items on the to-do list (purchase rug, chandelier, paint armoir, etc.), but we're getting there.

No comments: