
Yesterday we had my "almost 33 weeks" OB appointment.
Trey was 4.5 pounds (at two days shy of 33 weeks) and is doing well. His growth is on target. He's measuring somewhere between the 55th and 60th percentile in growth - so shaping up to look like a good, healthy, average baby.
They are going to start seeing me weekly beginning next week. Because of my connective tissue disease, I have an elevated risk of stillbirth in the third trimester, so we will have targeted ultrasounds to look for specific biomarkers every week from here on out to test him to make sure he is breathing okay, moving okay, etc. Basically, these tests will ensure that he's not in distress. The ultrasounds could take up to 30 minutes each time because they have to grade him on the four factors they are testing (breathing, movement, can't remember the other two at the moment...). So needless to say, they are watching the little guy closely in this final stage, and for that we are grateful. They will also moniter my amniotic fluid level to make sure that's on target as well.
And, my doc pretty much said that if all still looks good she would likely induce me at 39 weeks because waiting until 40 weeks and especially waiting until 41 weeks further increases the risk for a stillbirth, a chance she doesn't really want to take.
SO, looks like chances are good we are having a June baby and not a July baby - but we're just going to play it by ear, week to week, for now. One week is not a huge deal, and of course he could come on his own much earlier than that, but for some reason thinking "June baby" vs. "July baby" is a big change for me. I think I was in a little bit of shock leaving the doctor and had to reprocess this new date in my head. Of course, by the end of the day yesterday Robert and I were both gearing up for "T minus 6 weeks" until we get to meet our little man - if not before. That's certainly exciting, even if I have to be induced. Which, again, is not a huge deal - just not exactly what I was expecting. But we're all about being flexible these days.
If I am induced, I have a higher likelihood of needing a c-section because I didn't go into labor naturally, mainly because it's my first pregnancy. But my doctor said the more walking I do and activity I keep up in the next six weeks the better my chance of having my labor progress naturally even if they do induce - and thus less likely the c-section.
So here's to trying to keep staying active in the last seven (strike that, six) weeks! And here's to being thankful for my sweet friends Katie Crawford, Anna Kathryn Ellis, and Pam Kwena for walking the Lakeshore trail with me faithfully for the past several weeks and months and sometimes pushing me the entire 5 miles (down and back) because all that has been good for me and baby - and apparently we need to keep it up for as long as I am able. Warning: I may turn in to less of a talking "walking buddy" and more of a really good listener - primarily because I'm out of breath! And thanks to other sweet friends who have now promised to be my walking buddies.
Oh, and we did have an ultrasound yesterday with another chance to see our little man in 4D, as you can see from his little picture at the top of this post. He's still head down (hallelujah for being in the birthing position already) but had his little head tucked to the side, of course with his arms right up by his face the whole time so it was a little difficult to get a good profile shot. He's basically crammed in there. Good thing he's flexible (as evidenced by another 2D shot where you can see his toes are touching his forehead as his feet are extended straight up (knees flexed) pushing against the top of my uterus and hence my ribs, lungs, etc.).
Yep, flexibility is good because his personal quarters are about to get even tighter in the next seven... (strike that, six...) weeks as he packs on the pounds in preparation fo his big debut.
No comments:
Post a Comment