Saturday, May 14, 2011

Mother's Day





What a special blessing is the gift of a mother! Robert and I are both blessed to have mothers who love the Lord and have faithfully modeled lives dedicated to Jesus for us over the years. What great examples for me as I transition to the role of mother to little Trey.


They are faithful prayer warriors (probably more so than we will ever know), servant-hearted leaders, wonderful hostesses and providers, "keepers of the family" so to speak, gospel-reminders (preaching and living out the gospel to their children and families faithfully), committed to serving the church body, great listeners, and long suffering with our fathers! For which we are all very grateful! :)


I am sure my appreciation for them will increase 100 fold once baby Trey comes and they are my lifelines for the first two weeks. I am so thankful for such family support and their willingness to take time off their jobs to serve us in this way.


But even now and in the previous months of pregenancy they have been so encouraging and supportive. Faithfully praying for Trey's salvation, sending encouraging emails, marveling at the baby God is growing in my womb and reminding us to enjoy each and every stage of the process.


And then of course Robert's mom has spent countless hours of her free time (who really has "free time" when you work fulltime as a nurse/office manager and are also a fulltime wife, mother, grandmother, and daughter?) in her sewing room making Trey's bedding and drapes, monograming blankets and making cute little outfits for him. Not to even mention the dozens of phone calls, emails, and texts to me to discuss fabrics and everything else we've talked about in prepping the nursery along the way.


And my sweet mother has sacrificed her Saturday to come clean my house - all with a joyful heart! (Who does that???) - to help give it a good scrub down before baby comes. Robert was out of town this weekend visiting an old college roommate in Memphis (last man trip for a while), and it was so good to have my mom to keep me company and help me around the house. We laundered all of Trey's clothes which are now hanging so cute and pretty in his armoir and closet. Instead of cleaning, we decided to re-plant the mailbox flowerbed with some beautiful summer blooms since the warm weather had taken its toll on my pansies. They'll always be another day to clean, and I know when that day comes she'll be there to help!


I am so very thankful for our moms!! For these and so many other reasons.


And this Mother's Day I was also thankful for the opportunity to be a mother. And even though Trey's not visible, apparently it's apparent that I'm his mom. Everyone from experienced and seasoned moms and grandmothers at church to the cashier at Publix wished me a happy mother's day this year. Most of them caught me by surprise, but what a sweet gesture nonetheless. I am, technically, a mother....with a whole lot to learn!

No comments: