Friday, May 13, 2011

Nesting

Disclaimer: I should have posted this at the end of April. It was saved as a draft which I found and am posting now. As an update, the nesting has gotten a little better (as in calmed down) now, but for a while there it was insane. Warning to anyone expecting: This stage really does come out of no where. All of a sudden you're a cleaning, purging, tireless machine. Might want to tie your husband and pets to the couch so you don't throw them away or donate them to the thrift store with everything else you discard in prep for baby.




I totally thought this stage would skip me entirely, but it's here. In all its crazy glory.

Let's just say that, based on the past two weekends and even some weeknights after a full day's work, they could make a reality show about me entitled something like "Adventures in Nesting..." (dun, dun, dun - imagine the scary music in your head).

The show would be like "Hoarders" in reverse, but completely as shocking and just as dangerous. I'm already a little bit of an obsessive cleaner and neat freak. But mostly it's because I just like things in order. A place for everything and everything in its place. But this is a whole new level of insanity. And it came out of no where.

I'm talking about cleaning out junk drawers and cabinets in the kitchen, going through ALL my clothes and discarding what I don't and never will wear - then going through some of Robert's, cleaning out entire closets, and making about a gazillion trips to the thrift store to donate the items we purged. I donated everything from clothes and coffee mugs (to make room in the cabinets for bottles and such after horrifyingly realizing we had no kitchen cabinet room for baby's stuff) to random wedding gifts and old laptops (we had four!).

It's amazing what you can accumulate and store that you never ever use. We should probably go through the house like this every year just to keep things under control. Though it would be even better if we had better self control and didn't buy or accumulate stuff we don't need along the way.

Ah, so much to learn.

No comments: